- 1 Why Steam Games Won’t Launch?
- 2 How To Fix “Steam Games Not Launching” Bug?
- 2.1 Solution 1: Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
- 2.2 Solution 2: Use Verify The Integrity Of The Game Cache Option
- 2.3 Solution 3: Update/Disable/Remove 3rd Party Applications
- 2.4 Solution 4: Disable Your Antivirus
- 2.5 Solution 5: Move The GameOverlayRenderer64.dll File
- 2.6 Solution 6: Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
- 2.7 Solution 7: Update Windows
- 3 Wrapping Up
Steam users have been facing a problem while using Steam games for quite some time now. The users have reported that Steam games are not launching for them. This problem can distress the users as even after buying the game, they are not able to play them.
That’s why in this article, we have discussed the various ways you can diagnose and troubleshoot this problem.
Why Steam Games Won’t Launch?
There can be various reasons for this particular problem to occur, let’s take a look at them:
- Outdated graphics drivers are reported by the users to be the most common cause of this problem.
- Sometimes, this problem can happen if the game file itself is corrupted.
- There are various 3rd party applications that are known to cause this type of problem.
- Your antivirus can also be the cause of this problem, as Antiviruses will block any file or activity it considers as a threat to your computer.
- Outdated Windows is another cause of this problem reported by the users.
How To Fix “Steam Games Not Launching” Bug?
As you have seen above, there can be various reasons for your Steam not launching games. Now, its time to troubleshoot them one by one and hopefully, this issue would be solved for you.
Solution 1: Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
If you are facing this problem since updating to Windows 10 then, then most likely your graphics card driver is outdated and not compatible with your Windows 10. In this scenario, updating the graphics card driver should fix this issue for you.
To update your graphics card driver, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows + X keys on your keyboard and then click on the Device Manager option from the pop-up menu.
- Once the Device Manager is open, locate your graphics card driver.
- Right-click on the graphics card driver and select the Update driver option from the pop-up menu.
- Now, select the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
Now, it will scan your computer and the internet to check for the latest version of the driver available for your device and then update them automatically. Hopefully, this will solve this problem for you as it has for the other users.
Solution 2: Use Verify The Integrity Of The Game Cache Option
As mentioned above, if Steam failed to start your game, then your game itself can be corrupted.
To check if that’s the case there is an option in the Steam that you can use. Verify the integrity of the game cache is a feature on Steam, which will check the cache folder of the game and repair the game file if needed.
To check the game cache, follow the steps given below:
- Open Steam and select the Library option that you will find on the upper left side of your screen.
- Find the game that is not opening and right-click on it.
- Choose the Properties option from the pop-up menu.
- Now, select the Local Files tab and here you will find the Verify the integrity of the game cache option. Click on it and then wait for the process to finish.
This should solve the Steam games not launching bug for you as it did with the other users if it was caused by a corrupted game file.
Solution 3: Update/Disable/Remove 3rd Party Applications
As you know by now, there can be various 3rd party applications stopping Steam from opening your games.
Applications like the Rivatuner Statistics Server is known to cause this issue when it is outdated. Rivatuner Statistics Server is a part of MSI Afterburner software, check if you have this on your computer. If yes, then update it.
Also, applications like Razer Synapse and Logitech Joystick Utility are known to cause this issue. If you have any of these applications on your computer, then you will have to either disable them or uninstall them.
Handling the above applications as mentioned above should ix the Steam not launching games issue for you.
Solution 4: Disable Your Antivirus
If your antivirus starts to consider your Steam games as threats to the computer, then it can stop your games from opening. If this is the problem you are facing, then disabling the Antivirus should fix it.
To disable Windows Security, follow the steps given below:
- Click on the arrow on your taskbar in the lower right corner of your screen and then click on the Windows Security icon.
- Select the Virus and threat protection option and click on the Manage settings option below the Virus and threat protection settings.
- Turn off the Real time protection toggle to disable the Antivirus.
After you have disabled your Antivirus, check if still Steam games won’t launch. If the problem no longer occurs, then the culprit was definitely your Antivirus and you should probably get a new Antivirus or put Steam and the games in the exclude list of your Antivirus.
If the problem persists, turn on the Real time threat protection again by following the steps above, as most likely your antivirus is not causing this problem.
Solution 5: Move The GameOverlayRenderer64.dll File
A lot of users have reported that the GameOverlayRenderer64.dll file was causing this issue for them and by moving or deleting the file they fixed this bug.
To move the GameOverlayRenderer64.dll file, follow the steps given below:
- Open The PC from your desktop by double-clicking on the icon.
- Next, type dll in the Search This PC bar on the upper right corner of your screen and then press Enter. Windows will now search the GameOverlayRenderer64.dll file in your PC.
- After the search finishes, you will most probably have the file on your screen. Right-click on it and then select the Cut option.
- Move back to the desktop and press the Ctrl + V keys on your keyboard to move the GameOverlayRenderer64.dll file to your desktop.
- Finally, try to open the game from Steam and see if the problem persists.
Solution 6: Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
Sometimes, the game just needs to be run in compatibility mode for it to work. If you are still facing this problem, then you should try this also. To run your game in compatibility mode, follow the steps given below:
- Locate your game’s .exe file and then right-click on it. Click on the Properties option from the pop-up menu.
- Select the Compatibility tab and then check the Run this program in compatibility mode box. Next, select the desired Windows option for running the game.
- Finally, press on Apply and then OK to save the changes made.
Run the game to check if the problem persists or not.
Solution 7: Update Windows
Sometimes, if your Windows is outdated, then this type of problem can occur. Check if your Windows is up-to-date. If it isn’t, update it and then try to open your game. For many users, just by updating their Windows they were able to fix this problem.
To check if any Windows update is available or not and to update it, follow the steps given below:
- Type Windows Update in the Windows search bar and select the appropriate option. The Windows update settings will now be up on your screen.
- Click on the Check for updates Your computer will now check if any update is available and then update it automatically.
Once the update finishes, restart your computer and then check if the problem persists.
So, now you know what to do in-case your Steam games not launching. Hopefully, the above solutions will help you solve this problem. As always, feel free to leave your thoughts on the article in the comment section below.