Startup errors are the most terrifying from the users’ point of view. These errors prevent the user from accessing their PC and don’t let any chance of backing up their files. However, even if the errors look frightening, many of them have simple fixes. One such startup error is the Boot Configuration Data missing or contains errors with the error codes 0xc00000034 or 0xc000000f.
The BCD missing in Windows 10 error appears when the boot configuration data, which holds the boot-related information, is either corrupted or missing. Rebuilding the BCD generally fixes this issue. Here I have discussed how you can repair BCD in Windows 10 and fix the BCD missing error.
- Selected Boot Image Did Not Authenticate Error – Easy Fixes
- Windows 10 Critical Service Failed BSOD Error – Easy Fixes
What Is BCD?
BCD or Boot Configuration Data replaced the boot.ini file in Windows Vista, which was then used to hold the boot information. Among the boot-related information, the list of available operating systems is also included.
So, because of the vital boot information stored in the BCD, any issues like missing files or corruption can prevent your Windows from Starting properly.
What Causes The BCD Missing In Windows 10 Error?
There can a be few factors involving the BCD missing error on Windows 10. Here are the factors that can lead to this issue:
- Your hard drive can be failing, leading to missing BCD files.
- Malware or antivirus can delete or corrupt the BCD files from your PC.
- System file corruption.
How To Rebuild BCD In Windows 10?
When you find the BCD missing in Windows 10 error while booting, rebuilding the BCD should fix it. In Windows 10 repair BCD is possible by using a few command lines. However, to use the command lines, you need to have access to the command prompt, which you cannot because you are unable to boot into desktop.
In this situation, you can access the Command Prompt by booting from a bootable media. If you don’t have a bootable media, here is how you can make one:
Note: You will need to do this on a separate system.
- Visit the Microsoft official website and download the media creation tool.
- Run the Media Creation tool and either select to create a Bootable Flash drive or installation DVD. Enter the empty DVD or USB.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the Wizard to finish.
Once you have created an installation media, insert it on your device that is triggering the BCD missing error.
After you have made the installation media, insert it in your PC and follow the steps given below:
- Insert the installation media and boot your PC.
- The system will ask whether you want to boot from the installation media. Confirm by pressing the key.
If the system doesn’t show this, restart your PC and enter the BIOS at startup. Change the Boot Order to put the installation media on top.
- Follow the instructions and select your region and language in the Windows installation Wizard.
- When you notice the Repair your computer option, on the bottom left of the screen, click on it. This will open the Advanced Repair Options.
- Now, navigate as follows Troubleshoot >> Advanced Option >> Command Prompt. This will open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Type the following commands and press Enter after finishing each one to initiate them:
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr
b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot
c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- Restart your PC.
After your PC restarts, you should be able to boot in your Windows 10 normally. If the above commands didn’t work, try using the following advanced steps to repair BCD in Windows 10:
- Open the Command Prompt again using the above steps.
- Type the following 6 commands and press Enter after finishing each one to initiate them:
a) bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c) cd boot
d) attrib bcd -s -h -r
e) ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
f) bootrec /RebuildBcd
Now, exit the Command Prompt and restart your PC.
More Troubleshooting Methods
If rebuilding the BCD doesn’t fix this issue, try the following troubleshooting.
Solution 1: Run Automatic Startup Repair
If rebuilding the BCD doesn’t work, the first thing you can try is to run the Automatic Startup Repair tool. The startup repair tool, as the name suggests, checks for any issues related to booting and fixes them. To run the Startup repair tool, follow the steps given below:
- Enter the Advanced Repair options using the bootable media, as mentioned above.
- Click on Troubleshoot.
- Select the Advanced Option.
- Click on Automatic Startup Repair.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Restart your PC after the Startup Repair fixes the issue.
Solution 2: Run SFC And DISM Scans
If running the Startup repair also doesn’t solve this issue, try running the SFC and DISM scans. The System File Checker (SFC) scan repairs corrupted system files and the DISM scan repairs the Windows image. In this situation, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
- It will take some time to finish the scanning. Restart your PC after the scan finishes. If the issue persists, open the command prompt again and enter the following commands, and hit the Enter key after finishing each one.
a) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
b) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
c) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait for the commands to finish running and restart your PC.
Solution 3: Reinstall Windows
If none of the above solutions work, you will have to reinstall Windows. As you already have made an installation disk, insert it and restart. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Remember to format only the System drive, formatting other drives will delete all your data on the other drives.
After Rebuilding Boot Configuration Data
After you have rebuild BCD in Windows 10 and the error BCD missing no longer appears, don’t forget that it may happen again. There is a possibility that your PC has been affected by malware or virus, so remember to scan it thoroughly with a strong antivirus.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to fix the error BCD missing in Windows 10. If you have any questions regarding this topic, ask them in the comment section below.
Leave a Reply