- 1 How To Delete The Contents Of Multiple Rows?
- 2 How To Delete Multiple Rows In Excel?
- 3 How To Delete Multiple Columns In Excel?
- 4 Wrapping Up
Microsoft Office Excel is one of the most used spreadsheets in the World. It is easy to use and includes a wide range of features and predefined functions. The MS Office application is used to keep track of business finances to keeping data on school students. As Excel is used to keep track, update and change immense data, users have to delete or change multiple rows and columns frequently.
However, there are many users who do not know how to delete multiple rows in Excel. Here in this article, I have given a few methods that you can use to either delete multiple rows or delete only the contents in multiple rows.
There are various methods one can use to delete multiple rows in Excel. However, one may want to delete the contents of multiple rows or delete entire rows from the Excel sheet. Both require different methods and I have mentioned them separately below.
How To Delete The Contents Of Multiple Rows?
Let’s start with how to delete only the contents of multiple rows. First, you will have to select the rows that you want to clear. To do it, either hold left-click and drag your mouse to select the cells of multiple rows that you desire to clear, or press and hold the Ctrl key and click on the cells you want to clear.
If you want to clear entire rows, then select the row numbers, located on the extreme left column, by holding the Ctrl key and selecting them with the left key.
Once you have selected the rows that are to be cleared, you can clear them by using the shortcut Delete key or right-clicking on the selected rows and selecting the Clear contents option. This will only clear the content of the excel.
How To Delete Multiple Rows In Excel?
Deleting multiple rows in Excel can be achieved by various methods. Here are 3 easy methods that you can use:
Method 1: Delete Multiple Excel Rows By Using The Right-Click Context Menu
To use the contextual menu for deleting multiple rows in Excel, follow the steps given below:
- Open Excel and select the entire rows or cells of multiple rows that you want to delete.
- Right-click on the selected cells to open the contextual menu.
- Select the Delete option from the menu. The selected rows will be removed entirely, and the other rows will take their place.
If you have selected cells of multiple rows rather than the entire row, a Delete prompt will appear on your screen. In the delete prompt, you can either choose to delete entire rows or choose to delete only the selected cells and shift the other cells beside them into their position. Click on OK to delete the cells as selected in the menu.
Method 2: Delete Multiple Rows By Selecting Only One Cell
To delete multiple rows, you need not select all of them. In its place, you can select only one of the cells of each row and use the delete menu to remove entire rows. To do it, follow the steps given below:
- Hold the Ctrl key and click on only one of the cells from each row that you desire to delete.
- Right-click on it and select the Delete option. This will open the Delete menu.
- Check the Entire row option and click on OK. The rows of the selected cells will be deleted entirely.
Method 3: Delete Multiple Rows Using A Shortcut
If the above methods seem too long to you, then you can delete multiple rows using a simple shortcut. To do it, follow the steps given below:
- Select the rows you want to delete by holding the Ctrl key and selecting them with the left click.
- Press the Ctrl + – (minus) keys to delete the entire selected rows.
How To Delete Multiple Columns In Excel?
Similarly, if you want to delete multiple columns in Excel, use the above-mentioned methods but simply select the columns in place of the rows. Also, in Method 2, select the Entire Column option rather than the Entire Row option in the Delete menu.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to delete multiple rows in Excel quickly. If you have any questions regarding this topic, ask them in the comment section.