Hewlett Packard printers are extremely popular, and millions of people use it. Recently Windows and macOS users are facing an issue while trying to print from HP printers. Whenever they try to print the error 79 appears on their screen. If you are also facing this issue, then don’t worry as in this article I have discussed how to fix Hewlett Packard printer error 79.
What Causes The HP Printer Error 79?
- 1 What Causes The HP Printer Error 79?
- 2 How To Fix The Hewlett Packard Error 79?
- 3 Wrapping Up
After you have come across this error, you will likely want to know its cause. This issue can be triggered by many different causes. Here are some of the potential causes of this error:
- Printer queue: The printer queue can get glitched and trigger this service error 79 for Windows PCs.
- Firmware Issue: The firmware of the printer can get glitched out and not take any new printer jobs. This can trigger the HP printer error 79.
- Outdated Firmware: Other than the firmware glitching out, the outdated firmware can also be the cause of this error.
- Hardware issues: The hardware of the HP printer can be faulty and thus unable to print and trigger the service error 79.
How To Fix The Hewlett Packard Error 79?
Now that you know the different causes of this error, it is time to fix it. Here I have discussed the troubleshooting procedure you can follow in order to fix this issue.
Solution 1: Run Printer Troubleshooter In Windows 10
If you are facing this error in Windows 10 before you try anything else you should run the printer troubleshooter. Printer troubleshooter is an in-built troubleshooting utility of Windows 10 that checks any issues with the connected printer and shows it to the user. It can also fix the issue automatically after running.
To run the Printer troubleshooter, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open the Settings app.
- Click on the Update & Security option.
- Select the Troubleshoot option.
- In the Get up and running section, click on the Printer option.
- Select the Run the troubleshooter option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
After the printer troubleshooter finishes running, check what results come up. If the printer troubleshooter is able to fix it, then click on the Apply fix option to let the tool fix it.
Solution 2: Power Cycle The HP Printer
The next thing you can do to fix this issue is power cycle the HP printer. Power cycling the HP printer will reset it and resetting fixes most minor bugs and errors. Power cycling the HP printers are extremely easy and requires no particular technical knowledge. Here are the steps for power cycling an HP printer:
- First, you need to make sure that the HP printer is running and in idle mode, without running any jobs.
- Now that you are sure that the printer is in idle mode, the next thing you can do is disconnect the power cable from the rear of the HP printer.
- Remove the Power cable from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes and plug in the power cable again.
- Turn on the HP printer and try printing again.
Solution 3: Update HP Printer Firmware
If you are using an old HP printer, there is likely a newer firmware version available. Old firmware versions are susceptible to more errors and bugs. Updating the firmware should fix this error. To update this error, you can try 2 different methods.
Method 1: Update From The Printer
If you are using a printer released after 2010, then you can use this method to update the firmware from the printer directly. Make sure that the device supports Web services and has access to the internet.
This is the general guidelines you can follow to do so, as the procedure differs from model to model:
- Press the HP ePrint icon and access the Setup menu.
- Select the Product update option or something similar like Check Product update or Update the Printer.
If your printer has a text-based menu then access the Settings and select the Preferences/Printer Maintenance/ Tools menu. Select the Printer update or Web Services option.
- Accept the terms of service and log in to your account. Follow the on-screen instructions to start the update.
- Wait for the update to complete and then restart the Printer.
Method 2: Update Firmware Manually
If the Printer doesn’t support Web services, then you can manually download the firmware update and install it. To do it, follow the steps given below:
- Connect your printer to your local network using ethernet or USB cable.
- Now, on your computer visit the HP customer support page and click on the Let’s identify your product to get started option.
- Click on the Printer option and follow the on-screen instructions to identify the newest firmware update available for your printer.
- Now, enter your printer model and select the Submit option.
- Select the Firmware option and click on Download. Wait for the download to finish.
- Finally, install the downloaded firmware update and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Solution 4: Contact The HP Support
If none of the above solutions work for you, then all you can do is contact HP support. You can contact the official HP support and ask their technician to look at your issue. Many users were able to fix this issue by taking help from HP technicians. To contact the HP support technician, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the HP official support page.
- Click on the Printer option from the available list.
- Enter the Printer serial number and click on the Submit option.
- After you have identified the HP printer model, click on HP Contact Forms and then the Get phone number option.
- Call the given phone numbers for getting in contact with an HP technician. Tell them about the issue and let them fix it.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to fix the Hewlett Packard printer error 79. The above troubleshooting procedure should help you tackle this error. If you have any questions related to this topic, ask them in the comment section below.