Tired of using your Facebook messenger account? Looking for a way to deactivate or delete it? You have come to the right place. Deleting Messenger account is not a hassle.
However, you may want to delete your messenger account without deleting your Facebook account. Here I have given a complete guide on how to delete messenger account, without deactivating your Facebook account.
Also read: How To Recover Permanently Deleted Messages On Facebook Messenger?
Why Delete Messenger Account?
Messenger is quite a useful app for Facebook users. But there are many things that can force you to delete it for good or temporarily. Here are some reasons for deleting your messenger account:
- If your contacts are on other platforms.
- Facebook has pissed you off and you are closing your relationship with it.
- You don’t like the messenger’s interface.
Like these mentioned above, there can be multiple other reasons for you to delete your messenger account. So, how to delete it?
How To Delete Messenger Account?
The thing is, you cannot delete your messenger account, without deleting your Facebook account linked with it. However, you can deactivate it. Once you create your Messenger account, it is going to exist forever and there is no way to delete it, till the date of writing this article.
This means your account and all its contacts and messages will exist forever. This Facebook policy is quite primitive and restricts the rights of user authority on their own account. However, this is what you signed up for when using Facebook and you cannot change that anymore.
How To Deactivate Messenger Account?
So, how to deactivate Messenger? It can be done easily, but there are some nuances attached with it. For one, it really does nothing as your account is still there but put into a stasis of inactiveness. The moment you log back in your Facebook account, it will become active again.
Secondly, to deactivate your Messenger account, you will have to also deactivate your messenger account.
The only thing you will get out of it is a peace from the messages on your account, which can also be taken care of using other means. So, if you still want to deactivate your messenger account, here is how you can do it:
Tip: The following steps can only be done using the messenger installed on your phone.
- Open the messenger on your phone.
- Sign in if you have to.
- In Chats, tap on your Profile, located on the top left corner of the screen.
- Select the Account settings option for iOS devices and Legal and Polices option for Android devices.
- Tap on the Delete your Account and Information option for iOS devices. Android users move to step 6.
- Select the Deactivate option and enter your password to confirm it.
Remember that you can only deactivate a linked messenger account after you have deactivated your Facebook account. To reactivate your messenger account, simply log in with your username and password.
How To Delete Messenger Account?
If you want to delete your messenger account, you will have to delete the Facebook account linked to it. If the messenger account is not linked to any Facebook account, it cannot be deleted. If you still want to delete your messenger account, here is how you can do it.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Click on the small arrow icon, beside your profile on the top right corner.
- Select the Settings option.
- Click on the “Your Facebook Information” option.
- Select the “Delete Your Account and Information” option.
Once you finish the above steps, your Facebook account will be deleted and your messenger account will be deleted with it. Remember that this means you will never be able to access that account. Before deleting, Facebook will ask your whether you want to backup your photos and posts.
How To Turn Off Facebook Messenger?
It is clear that deactivating or deleting your Facebook account is not an end solution. The downsides far exceed the positive side. If you are simply annoyed with your messenger account, even if it is a bit more serious, there is always an option to turn off your messenger and disable the notifications. In case you decide to take this route, here is how you can do it:
- Open your messenger app and click on the profile picture, located top left of the screen.
- Select the Active Status option.
- Turn off the Show when you’re active toggle.
This will make your account turn inactive. To disable notifications, follow the steps given below:
- Open Messenger and again click on your profile picture.
- Select the Notifications and Sounds option from the menu.
- Enable the Do Not Disturb toggle.
This will disable all notifications of Messenger.
How To Delete Messenger But Keep Facebook Account?
As I mentioned earlier, there is no way you can delete your messenger account but keep your Facebook account at the same time. However, there is an easier alternative. You can simply uninstall your Messenger app, which will basically have the same result as deactivating your messenger account, while keeping your Facebook account.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to delete messenger account. If you have any questions related to this topic, ask them in the comment section below.
Leave a Reply