The Fullscreen optimization feature in Windows 10 was introduced to make the gaming and video playing experience better for users. When the Fullscreen Optimization feature is enabled, your PC prioritizes the CPU and GPU resources to enhance the games and playback videos. But, this feature was soon reported to be responsible for FPS drops.
In this article, I have discussed how to disable Fullscreen Optimization in Windows 10. By disabling this feature, you can fix the FPS drops while playing games on your PC.
Disable Fullscreen Optimizations In Windows 10
Earlier, it was quite easy to disable the Fullscreen Optimization feature on Windows 10, as there was a dedicated option for it. However, after the latest Windows update, the dedication option has been removed. Now, Windows 10 by default uses the Fullscreen Optimization feature.
After the recent update, disabling the Fullscreen Optimization is still possible, but the process is a little tricky. It involves changing the registry keys, which can be risky. Although the option to disable Fullscreen Optimization for all apps has been removed, it is still possible to do it for each app or game.
Below I have mentioned all the steps that you can use to disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10.
How To Turn Off Fullscreen Optimization From Settings? (For Users With Older Windows Versions)
In the recent updates of Windows 10, the ability to disable the Fullscreen Optimization feature for all apps or games in the PC from the Settings app was removed. However, if you are using an older version of Windows, then you may still be able to access this option.
To disable the Fullscreen Optimization from the Settings app, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Settings option. This will open the Settings app on your screen.
- In the Settings app, click on the System option.
- Next, click on the Display option.
- Scroll down and select the Advanced Graphics settings option.
- Now, uncheck the Enable Fullscreen Optimization box in the Fullscreen Optimization section.
If this option is unavailable on your PC, then try the next two methods.
How To Turn Off Fullscreen Optimization From Registry?
If you have the latest Windows 10 version, then you won’t be able to turn off Fullscreen Optimization from Settings for all apps. To disable it for all apps in the latest Windows 10 version, you must make some changes in the Registry.
Windows Registry is the place where all the Windows settings are stored. When you make a Registry change, you need to be extra careful as even a small mistake can lead to a complete system crash. Before following the steps given below, backup the Registry keys or create a system restore point.
This will allow you to restore any mistakes you make in the Registry.
Now, to disable Fullscreen Optimization from Registry, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run utility.
- Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- On the right panel, right-click on the empty white area and select New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value. This will create a new DWORD.
- Name the new DWORD GameDVR_DSEBehavior and double-click on it.
- Set 2 as the value to disable Fullscreen Optimization. Click on OK to save the changes.
If you want to enable Fullscreen Optimization again, then simply change the value to 0 from 2.
- Finally, close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.
After the computer starts, Fullscreen Optimization will be disabled.
How To Turn Off Fullscreen Optimization For A Single Application?
The option to disable Fullscreen Optimization for all apps may have been removed by Windows 10, but you still can disable it for individual apps or games. To disable Fullscreen optimization for individual apps or games, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the app or game that you want to start without Fullscreen Optimization.
- Click on the Properties option from the right-click context menu.
- Select the Compatibility option.
- In the Settings section, check the Disable fullscreen optimizations option.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Now the application will start without using the Fullscreen Optimizations feature. This will be the case every time you open this app in that particular user account until you uncheck the Disable fullscreen optimization box from properties.
However, this won’t be the case for all the user accounts on your PC. To disable the Fullscreen Optimization for a particular app or game in all the user accounts in your PC, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Compatibility tab in the Properties of the app or game as mentioned above.
- Click on the Change settings for all users option.
- Check the Disable fullscreen optimizations option.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10. Remember to backup your Registry or create a system restore point before editing the Registry keys. If you have any other questions regarding this article, ask them in the comment section below.