If the Xbox console cannot resolve a valid DNS address for connecting to the internet, you cannot play your games.
If your DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names, read through this article to know the solutions.
What To Do If DNS Isn’t Resolving Xbox Server Names?
Follow the methods described below when DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names and fix the issue. You can also check this entire lot of best DNS servers for your router.
1) Restart The Xbox Console
Restart the Xbox console first when DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names.
Sometimes a fresh restart of the Console can fix minor bugs and errors.
To do that, press & hold the Xbox logo on the till the Xbox shuts down completely.
Detach all the power cables attached to it.
Wait for a few minutes. Then turn on the Console and try to connect to the internet again.
Check if this could fix the issue. In not go, restart your router.
2) Restart Your Router
If after restarting the Console you get the same problem, restart the router.
Turn off the Console. Then turn off the router and unplug its power cable.
Wait for some time and then attach the power cable. Turn on the router and check if this could solve the problem.
3) Set DNS Manually
If, after restarting the router and the Console, the Xbox One DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names, then try resetting the DNS manually.
- Open the Xbox console. From the Home page, go to Settings.
- Click on the Network option.
- Next select Advanced Settings from the left navigation pane.
- Using the controls, select DNS Settings from the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the arrow button and select Manual.
- Set the Primary DNS address to 8.8.8 and click Enter.
- Then set the Secondary DNS address to 8.4.4 and press Enter to save the changes.
- Getting back to the wireless settings, press “B” to save the changes.
- Xbox console should automatically connect to the internet now and show you a confirmation message.
If this does not fix the problem, reset the router to the default factory settings.
4) Reset The Router To Factory Settings
If your router us misconfigured, then this can be the reason why DNS isn’t resolving XBOX server names.
Turn the router back and look for the reset button. Most of the routers do not have the reset button.
For this, you need to use a sharp pointed tool or a pin to press inwards to the hole that says ‘Reset’.
After resetting your router, check if the Xbox can connect to the internet successfully.
There is another method to reset the router. You can type the router’s model number in Google Chrome and check the process to reset your router. The steps may differ from router to router, but here I am showing the basic process:
- Open your web browser and type your IP address. If you don’t know, it checks the back of your router. It should be written there.
- If you still cannot find it, you can ask your service provider.
- Press Enter after that.
- Type the username and password when asked.
- The default username and password is admin.
- Go to the Tools tab and then select System Commands.
- Look for the Restore Default Settings button and click on it.
- Click on it. This will reset the router back to its factory settings.
5) Switch To A Wired Connection
If you can not fix the issue even after performing the above steps, switch to a wired connection.
A wired connection provides a much more stable connection than a wireless connection.
But while establishing the connection, make sure to insert the wire in the correct slot, and there is no loose connection.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- How long does it take for DNS to resolve?
It can take from a few hours to up to 72 hours for DNS to resolve.
- Will changing DNS improve gaming?
Changing the DNS may not affect the internet speed, but it will have some effects on your gaming experience. It can reduce lag and help to access the game much more quickly.
- Which is the best DNS for Xbox?
Google DNS, Cloudflare DNS, and OpenDNS are some of the best DNS for Xbox.
Let us know which of the above methods could fix your problem when the DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names.
For any further suggestions, feel free to ask us in the comments section provided below.