Remote desktop is extremely useful when you want to access a PC from another PC. It is a great way for PC technicians to check issues faced by their clients without the need for a personal visit. The entire remote desktop setup happens online, as the data is transmitted from one system to another, with the minimum difference in response and result shown, making it handling in real-time.
In this article, I have discussed how to use the Windows 10 remote access completely. After reading this article, you will have an in-depth understanding of how to set up Remote access and which apps to use for it.
What Is Remote Access?
Windows 10 remote access is a way to control a computer using another device, anywhere in the world through the internet. It’s an effective way used by computer technicians for fixing their client’s devices without the need to visit them. Another useful use of remote access is to share the screen for showing a presentation or demo to your friends or family.
It is also an effective way to connect with your PC while you are away to dig up and share files that only you have access to. The major use of Remote access is done by tech support.
Security Concerns Over Remote Access
When using the Remote access, the user is basically giving complete access to another user. This can obviously lead to security issues. Be aware of whom you are giving access to your PC. When taking tech support, always make sure that you are taking help from official sources that can be held accountable.
Other than that, users with weak Windows 10 remote access passwords can also face a data breach. There is remoter access software that has weak security, so avoid those at all costs. Below I have provided a list of some of the best remote access software for your desktop. An app like the pcAnywhere is one example, which was discontinued by Symantec in 2014 because of various security breaches.
Also, avoid using passwords that you use in other hack sites. This has been a big issue for various data breaches using Remote Access.
How To Enable Windows 10 Remote Access?
To use Remote Access in Windows 10, you must enable it first. To enable the Remote access, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Settings option.
- Click on the Update & security option.
- Select the For developers option.
- Scroll down to the Remote Desktop option.
- Check all the boxes in that section and click on Apply.
- Select the Show settings option beside the Change settings to allow remote connections to this computer option.
- In the Remote Assistance section, check the Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer option.
- In the Remote Desktop section, check the Allow remote connections to this computer option.
- Click on Apply and Ok to save the changes.
Use Microsoft’s Remote Access Connection App
After you have enabled the Remote access in Windows 10, you can now set up the remote access connection using the inbuilt Remote Access Connection app. To use it, follow the instructions given below.
Connect To Another PC
To connect with another PC, follow the steps given below:
- Type Remote Access Connection in the Start menu and select the top option.
- In the Computer box, type the Device name you noted earlier or type in the IP address of the PC you want to connect.
To get the Device Name, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select the Settings option. This will open the Settings app.
- Select the System option.
- Scroll down and click on the About option.
- In the Device Specifications section, note down the Device Name.
To get the IP address of the PC, follow the steps given below:
- Open any internet browser.
- Type the following in the Google search engine and initiate a search:
What is my IP?
- Google will show your IP address. Note it down. Remember that you must not be connected to any VPN or proxy that can change the IP address.
After you have entered either the device name or IP address of the PC you want to connect to, follow the next steps:
- Click on the Show Options button and select enter the Username of the account that you are going to use to log in. You can save the credentials for future use by checking the Allow me to save credentials box.
- Select the Connect option.
- Enter the password. You can check the Remember me box to save the password for auto fill in the future.
- Click on OK. If you receive any prompt showing the following message “The identity of the computer cannot be verified”, check the Don’t ask me again for connections on this computer box and click on Yes.
Now you will notice a blue connection bar on the top part of the screen and the connection to the other computer should be made. After you are finished with remote access, click on Close to end the connection.
Windows 10 Home Remote Desktop Alternative
Other than using the default Windows 10 home Remote Desktop app, you can also use alternative applications. You may want to do that if the remote desktop is not working on your Windows. Here I have mentioned some of the best remote desktop Windows 10 apps in 2020.
1) Team Viewer
Team Viewer is one of the most used remote access applications. It is compatible with IOS, Android, Linux, Windows, and Mac OS. This allows users to connect to, say their desktop, from their tablets or smartphones.
It is very secure and has features like shared meeting that combines remote access to online meetings. The app has a free version, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
GoToMyPC is another great Windows 10 home remote desktop alternative that is easy to use. The app supports cross-platform where you can not only remote access to other computers but share your desktop, documents, or application windows with up to 25 meeting participants in real-time. It also acts as a video conferencing app and has an inbuilt session scheduler, which is pretty handy.
There is no need to download Mikigo as users can sign in from their browser and connect with other devices directly for free. It is one of the few good free remote desktop Windows 10 apps. Sign up for free from here.
Splashtop is a cheaper remote access alternative that has extensive features like chat and screen recording, It also supports multiple platforms like tablets, phones, and basically any device that runs Chrome.
You can download it from Microsoft Store.
So, there you have it. Now you know about Windows 10 remote access and should easily be able to set it up. If you have any questions regarding this article, ask them in the comment section below.