- 1 Why Is Xbox One Not Reading Discs?
- 2 What To Do When Xbox One Disc Drive Not Reading Discs?
- 3 Wrapping Up
Xbox One has remained the first-choice for many console gamers. The console allows users to play games, music, movies, and other entertainment videos. Both games and media can be downloaded as well as installed using optical discs on Xbox One.
While trying to install games from optical discs, you may find Xbox One not reading discs. This issue has been around in Xbox One for some years, with no perfect fix for all. In this article, I have discussed how to fix Xbox One disc drive not reading issue and why this issue may happen.
Also, here is a guide on Xbox 360 region lock that you may like to read.
Why Is Xbox One Not Reading Discs?
If Xbox one fails to read discs, then it is likely due to the following causes:
- The disc has become dirty, either due to dirt, hair, or debris.
- A faulty laser is commonly reported as the cause of this issue.
- Corruption in the drive is also a possible cause of this issue.
- The disc can be faulty, which is why the Xbox one disc won’t read.
- This issue can also happen due to a broken disc drive.
Now, let’s check out the possible solutions for Xbox One not reading discs issue.
What To Do When Xbox One Disc Drive Not Reading Discs?
Xbox One won’t read discs due to various reasons, as mentioned above. Fixing it depends on various factors. Here is a comprehensive troubleshooting guide to fix this issue.
Some Preliminary Troubleshooting
Lets start with some preliminary troubleshooting before delving deeper into other factors.
- Removing and inserting the disc a couple of times is the first thing you should do when Xbox One disc drive not reading
- Restart your console. Restarting is one of the oldest troubleshooting tricks and it has remained relevant because it works.
- Check if the issue is with a particular disk or with all discs. This information will be relevant for the other troubleshooting methods.
- Install the latest Xbox updates using Xbox Live. It isn’t likely to be the cause of this issue, but it is better to remove the possibility anyway.
- Reposition the Console into a horizontal position. Xbox One isn’t designed to work in a vertical position. So, if you have placed it in a vertical position, it may be interfering with the disc drive.
If still Xbox One disc won’t read after troubleshooting as mentioned above, then move on to the solutions given below.
Solution 1: Clean The Disc Carefully
During the preliminary troubleshooting, you should have figured out if the issue is with a single disc or not. If the issue is only with a single or a couple more discs, any dirt on the disc can be causing this issue. Follow the steps given below with extreme care and read all the steps before executing them.
- Take a soft, clean, and damp cloth
- Hold the disc, that is causing this issue, carefully on the edges. Do not touch the bottom or the top surface with your hand.
- Clean the disc with the cloth, carefully avoiding any contacts with your hand or fingers on the top and bottom surfaces.
Let the disc dry and then insert it to check if it works. If cleaning the disc doesn’t work, then the disc can be damaged beyond fix. Check for scratches or nicks on the disc to ascertain its condition.
If the disc has multiple scratches or nicks, then you will have to buy a new disc. You can also ask for a replacement if the publishing company allows it.
Solution 2: Change Power Modes And Power Cycle Xbox One
If Xbox One is asking you to enter a disc when you have already done so, it means that the entered disc isn’t recognized. When this happens, you can change the power mode and power cycle the console to fix this issue. To do it, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Guide menu by pressing the Xbox button.
- Select the System
- Next, select the Settings option and then the Power & startup
- Locate the Energy-saving option and select it.
- Now, press and hold the Xbox power button for 10 seconds to perform a hard power cycle.
- After the console shuts down, press the Xbox button again to restart it.
- Insert the disc that Xbox One won’t read previously and check if the issue remains or not.
Solution 3: Check If The Blue Ray App Is Installed Or Not
If Xbox One disc drive not reading CDs, DVDs, and Blue-ray discs but reading the game discs correctly, check if you have the Blue-ray app installed or not. If not, then you have probably found the reason behind Xbox One not reading discs. Install the Blue-ray app on Xbox One to fix this issue. To do it, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Guide by pressing the Xbox button.
- Select Home and then select Store by scrolling right.
- Type Blue-ray in the search bar present in the Store.
- Select the Blue-ray app when it appears and install it in your Xbox.
Solution 4: Reset Xbox One
If none of the above solutions work, try resetting Xbox One and see if it fixes this issue. To reset Xbox One, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Guide again.
- Navigate to the following setting:
Settings > All Settings >System > Console Info & Updates > Reset Console
- Select the Reset and keep my games & apps This will reset the OS and fix any potential corruption in the system files.
Remember to not select the Reset and remove everything option as it will factory reset your Xbox One and all user data, games and apps will be deleted. But, if you are okay with deleting the user data, app, and games, and the normal reset didn’t work, then only go down this route.
Solution 5: Check If The Disc Drive Is Broken
If resetting also doesn’t work, then it seems that the Xbox One disc drive not reading is due to a broken disc drive. To ascertain if this is the case, the quickest way is to insert the disc on another Xbox One console. If the other Xbox One reads the disc, then the issue was due to the broken disc drive.
You can contact the Xbox One technician online and ask for a repair. Or you can take the Xbox One to a service center.
So, there you have it. Now you know why Xbox One not reading discs and how to fix Xbox One disc drive not reading issue. If you have any other questions related to this article, ask them in the comment section below.