DVDs and DVD players have region codes inbuilt in them. When you try to play the DVD of a region on a DVD player from another region, it won’t play. This is similar to the OTT platforms like Netflix that have region locked shows, as well as the Xbox consoles with region locked games and content.
So, if you have locked DVD region codes how to bypass them? In this article, I have discussed how to unlock DVD region codes easily.
Why DVD Region Codes?
The short answer is to earn more profit! Now, if you want to learn a bit more, let’s dive into it. You may know that all movies are released on different dates in different regions.
Let’s say a movie just released in the US and was a blockbuster in the theatres. The same movie has unlikely released in the rest of the world. There are specific dates booked for releasing such movies in theatres of different countries, that most of the time don’t coincide. Thus, the movie can be a blockbuster in the theatres of the other regions but on different dates.
Now, if someone from the US decides to send a copy of the film to a friend in another region, before the release of the film in that region, they won’t likely visit the theatres for watching it. Thus, the theatrical distribution agencies don’t earn their profits.
So, the DVD region codes prevent the DVD from a different region to run on a DVD player.
The Distribution Of DVD Region Codes
Both the DVD players and the DVDs are labeled with the region codes. This distribution of these codes is divided into six major geographical regions. There are two extra region codes that are reserved for special circumstances. The distribution of the codes are as follows:
|2||Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland|
|3||South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia|
|4||Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)|
|5||Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa|
|7||MPAA-related DVDs and “media copies” of pre-releases in Asia|
|8||International venues such as Aircraft, Cruise ships, and spacecraft|
|0||Any region/region free|
|ALL||All the 1-8 flags are set. In other words, it can be used in all the above regions|
DVD Region Codes How To Bypass?
Now, let’s return to the main topic of unlocking the DVD region codes. There are two things you can do here, one is hacking the DVD player and making it accept all codes, or ripping the DVD to either change its format or unlock the code.
1) DVD Player Region Unlocker
One way to play restricted region code DVD content is by using region unlocker hacks on the DVD player. There is a dedicated section for DVD hacks in VideoHelp.com, where you can search using your DVD player and download hacks, with instructions on how to use it, to have all DVD regions unlocked.
Simply visit the website and enter the DVD player model in the search engine. It will open all the latest and old hacks, with instructions on how to implement them. Be aware that not all DVD players can be made region free using hacks, some can only be changed regions and that also for a limited amount of time.
2) WinX DVD Ripper Platinum DVD Region Code Unlocker
DVD region code unlocker applications can be used to unlock regions of the DVD. One such application is the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum that I have found quite efficient in doing so. You can download it from their official website. After you have downloaded it, follow the steps given below:
- Insert the DVD region-locked disc and open the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. You will find the inserted disc mentioned here.
- Click on the Disc from the ripper application. This will open a new window.
- Select the General Profiles option in the opened window and select the MP4 format. You can also choose other formats.
- Confirm the destination folder for the file to be saved.
- Click on the Run option to rip the DVD and convert it.
3) Change The DVD Region Using Your PC
Like you can change the DVD region codes of your DVD player, similarly, you can also change the region codes of the DVD itself. However, this can only be done a limited number of times until it permanently sets the last region code, so be aware of that. To do this, follow the steps given below:
For Windows 10:
- Insert the DVD and press the Windows + R keys to open the Run utility.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives option.
- Right-click on the driver of the inserted disk and select the Properties option.
- Select the DVD Region tab.
- Here you will find the currently selected region and set the New region.
- After you have set the New Region, click on OK to save it.
- Insert the region coded DVD.
- Select the Choose a region for the optical disk option after a dialog box appears.
- Click on the Change Region to option and then select the region.
- Select the Set Drive Region option and click on Lock to save the new DVD region.
So, there you have it. Now you know when you face DVD region code how to bypass it and watch the content. If this article helped you, we would love to hear about it. Please share it with us using the comment section.